17.3 C
Houston
Thursday, January 21, 2021

Ex.-Michigan Gov. Snyder charged in Flint water crisis

LANSING, Mich. (AP) – Former Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder was charged Wednesday with two counts of willful neglect of duty stemming from an investigation of the Flint water crisis.

The charges, shown in an online court record, are misdemeanors punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

The indictment filed by the attorney general’s office is groundbreaking: No governor or former governor in Michigan’s 184-year history had been charged with crimes related to their time in that office, according to the state archivist.

Besides Snyder, a Republican who served until 2019, charges are expected against other people, including former officials who served as state health director, Michigan’s chief medical executive, Snyder’s communications chief and a senior adviser.

- Advertisement -

Flint was in chronic financial trouble in 2014 when a Snyder-appointed manager who was running the majority Black city carried out a money-saving decision to use the Flint River for water while a regional pipeline from Lake Huron was under construction. The corrosive water, however, wasn’t treated properly and released lead from old plumbing into homes in one of the worst manmade environmental disasters in U.S. history.

Despite desperate pleas from residents holding jugs of discolored, skunky water, the Snyder administration took no significant action until a doctor reported elevated lead levels in children about 18 months later.

“I’m sorry and I will fix it,” Snyder promised during his 2016 State of the State speech.

Authorities counted at least 90 cases of Legionnaires’ disease in Genesee County, including 12 deaths. Some experts found there wasn’t enough chlorine in the water-treatment system to control legionella bacteria, which can trigger a severe form of pneumonia when spread through misting and cooling systems.

The disaster made Flint a national symbol of government dereliction, with residents forced to line up for bottled water and parents fearing their children had suffered permanent harm. Lead can damage the brain and nervous system and cause learning and behavior problems. The crisis was highlighted as an example of environmental injustice and racism.

More than 9,700 lead service lines at homes have been replaced. Flint’s water, which now comes from a Detroit regional agency, gets good marks, although many distrustful residents still use filters.

The criminal investigation has lasted five years under two teams of prosecutors. Todd Flood, who got misdemeanor convictions from seven people, was ousted in 2019 after the election of Attorney General Dana Nessel, a Democrat. Fadwa Hammoud subsequently dropped charges in eight pending cases and said the investigation would start over. She said the first team had failed to collect all available evidence.

Separately, the state, Flint, a hospital and an engineering firm have agreed to a $641 million settlement with residents over the water crisis, with $600 million coming from Michigan. A judge said she hopes to decide by Jan. 21 whether to grant preliminary approval. Other lawsuits, including one against the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, are pending.

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.



Washingtontimes

Latest news

Media Suddenly Questions Whether California’s Outdoor Dining Ban Contributed To COVID-19 Surge

After months of outdoor dining bans which have choked the life out of bars and restaurants across the country (with no apparent effect on...

Trump wants to start a new political party?

it was reported yesterday that Trump has already begun talking about creating a new political party called the ‘Patriot Party’: WSJ – President Trump has...

Michigan governor travels to DC for Biden’s inauguration after urging residents to stay home during holidays

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer traveled to President Biden’s inauguration in the nation’s capital after...

Ohio Priest Suspended for Three Months, Could Face Defrocking, For Attending ‘Stop the Steal’ Rally

An Ohio Archpriest has been suspended for three months and faces possible defrocking for attending the Stop the Steal rally in DC on January...

Related news