One man is in custody after an overnight bomb threat shuttered the Florida Capitol in Tallahassee and forced employees to keep their distance.
“Out of an abundance of caution, Florida’s Capitol is closed to employees until 9 a.m. today,” the Florida Department of Law Enforcement wrote on Twitter Thursday. “A bomb threat was made re: Florida Capitol overnight. Capitol Complex has been swept by LE & explosive detecting K-9’s. No explosive devices were found & nothing suspicious identified.”
Mark Wayne Clark, 61, was arrested in connection to the early morning incident through the efforts of six law enforcement divisions, including the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force. The 61-year-old faces one charge for a false bomb threat.
Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis activated the state’s National Guard earlier this week due to threats reported by the FBI about the Sunshine State, according to the Tallahassee Democrat. Law enforcement increased patrols, and the government building was shuttered to the public before the inauguration of President Biden, which featured tight security measures following the Jan. 6 siege on the U.S. Capitol that left five people dead.
State Capitols throughout the country increased protective measures following the unrest, which saw two explosive devices planted at the Republican National Committee headquarters and the Democratic National Committed base. Both bombs were neutralized by authorities, and the FBI has since offered a $75,000 reward for information that may lead to the suspect’s capture.
“We will stay vigilant as long we need to. We know that domestic terrorism is an issue we will face from this moment forward,” Tallahassee Mayor John Dailey said of the threats in a Sunday news conference.
Dailey said on Thursday that the city is “very fortunate” to have avoided a scenario involving explosives, but the local leader pledged to “remain vigilant.”
The Tallahassee Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment from the Washington Examiner.